So Bob was able to come home from Alberta about 3:00 that Saturday morning and that day they started working on the truck. It's a spreader truck of some sort so they had to build a false floor for the kids to sit on. He was really good about making sure the kids were involved in the work. He had Ashley & Jenna cutting all the boards to brace in for a floor. Then they screwed a bunch of sheets of plywood on top of the braces and we crossed our fingers hoping it would hold them all so they wouldn't end up in the bottom of the 'V' of the box!
We brought it down to the school where a few more kids from FFA worked on loading some hay bales into it and adding some decorations.
It was a very fun weekend. Made for a long busy day but the response the kids got from the 'fans' was well worth it! We had never gone to the labor day parade so we didn't realize how HUGE it was. I had bought 5 large bags of candy which I thought would be plenty but we ran out long before the end of the route. Lesson learned for next year. Much to Ashleys dismay we allowed Kendra & Tyler to ride along in the truck with the FFA kids...(only because the teacher said they could:) and it was definitely a great time for them too.
One other small hicup, besides running out of candy, was a fuse issue. As we got started the kids cranked the stereo in the back and it kept blowing fuses! This truck isn't the easiest thing to drive through city streets so as Bob is trying to pay attention to that I'm frantically combing through the manual, ripping various fuses out of the dash trying to figure out which ones we really can do without just to keep the speakers running. After all, without the music you lose the whole effect!;) Finally we figured out that if the kids in the back would just lower the volume about 2 decibels the fuse would stop blowing. So I tried to sort of climb out the window to yell instructions back at them. Thankfully we had all those glitches worked out by the end of the first block and it was smooth sailing from there!