Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Momma goes to work!

After 14 years of staying at home doing daycare life suddenly changed in a pretty big way! I had been talking/thinking about going out and getting a real job as soon as Tyler went to school full time. I finally worked up the courage to tell my daycare parents that I was going to start looking for a job. I told them it could be a few weeks or it could be 6 months! I had no idea what I would find and when. The Thursday before school started I was at Housel Middle school for registration day. I was sitting at a table in the cafeteria filling out paperwork sitting by my friend Lolli who works at the school. The school principal came and sat by Lolli and commented that she had two positions she needed to full yet before school started. Lolli said, "well Julaine, there ya go!' The principal looked at me and sai "are you looking for a job?" and well, long story short after a brief discussion and I check on my paperwork and background, 15 minutes later she offered me a full time job at the school starting Monday morning! Yikes! It was exciting but terrifying all at the same time. I had 4 days to get a wardrobe, organize my house, get my kids ready for school, break the news to my daycare parents and start work!
I was hired as a one on one aid for a very developmentally handicapped child. Unfortunately she declined so quickly that she never did end up coming to school. Because I did not have an AA degree I was only able to be hired as a full time sub. This meant I had to take every 19th day off because subs can only work 18 days in a row. The first month I really just floated around to wherever they needed me. Which meant some days were good and some were not. My biggest frustration was boredom. Sitting in a class 'monitoring' a problem student was just not enough to do! Eventually everything got ironed out. I ended up applying for the position I was kind of already doing. I took the para assessment test to challenge the AA requirement and passed with flying colors:) They offered me a full time contracted position in the life skills room as a special ed para. Suddenly I had benefits! It took some adjusting, Kendra did a lot of whining and complaining but overall its been a good thing. I really enjoy getting out of my house and getting to be around some adult company.

My official staff picture:)

No comments: